Massage doesn’t have to stop as your baby grows, you may just need to adapt it, to the more mobile and inquisitive little one. That makes story massage the perfect continuation to follow on from infant massage.
Story massage involves the use of ten simple movements, which are associated with words to build up an engaging and interactive story. It also, combines the benefits of positive touch with the creativity of words, whether as a; story, rhyme or song. Story massage provides the structure for you to massage your little one, with the soothing and familiar tool of your voice.
How is it different to massage?
The story massage strokes focus on the upper body, arms and head, and can be done on the front or back of the body. Unlike infant massage, story massage is done with your child fully clothed and without the use of oil. This then makes the activity more flexible and simpler. Each of the strokes and movements are designed to be adaptable to each child and their development. There is also a particular focus on the nurturing and positive touch between the child and the primary caregiver.
Story massage benefits:
- Relaxation for both the adult and the baby, by loosening up tension and stress that builds up in the body over time.
- Oxytocin is released which is the feel good hormone and boosts well-being.
- Establishes a routine that is calming and soothing for the child.
- Increase alertness and concentration.
- Helps to develop speech and language skills.
- Improves vocabulary.
- Focused 1-2-1 time improves self-confidence.
- Story massage is fun.
Story Massage is suitable from 6 months – 8 years